Saturday 19 March 2011

My Dad

It's 35 years today since my dad passed away with cancer. He was 54 years old and I was 9. I have been thinking of him a lot over the last few months, don't know why bit I have.

My dad was 44 when I was born which was quite old for the 60's and he was very old school. Kids were seen and not heard, during school times we had to be in bed before he came home etc. He was very set in his ways but I loved him. He had many jobs including milkman, postman but I always remember him being an ice cream man. He sold ice cream in all types of weather and one of hos spots was Ditchling Beacon, a beauty spot on the outskirts
of Brighton. I remember going up there with my mum and sisters to see him work and he used to have a long queue outside his van while the Mr Whippy van man sat twiddling his thumbs..lol

I often wonder what he would have been like now, how he would have reacted to the 80's and the new romantics, he called my brother a long haired layabout at his wedding in 1972 :-) wonder what he would have made of Boy George..

Anyway here are a couple of pics of me and my dad. The first picture is taken at Weymouth, I think I was about 3 or 4. I'm sitting on my dad's lap. The other two are my sisters. During this holiday I got lost for 1 hour apparently. I just wondered off and was found chatting to an old lady..
This picture was taken on the Isle of Wight ferry. It was my first trip there and it was a surprise. Mum took the photo and boy did she give him earache cause he decided to wipe his nose at the exact time she took the photo. I was about 7 here.

Love you dad and miss you lots.

Thanks for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment